Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Let the Walking Begin

Last night I had my first training walk in preparation for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day I'm registered to participate in this October. Now, take into consideration this event is 60 miles, YES, let me repeat that 60 miles over 3 days. This first training walk a mere 3 miles.

I thought I did well even though me feet were just a tad sore when I got home. And the next day I felt pretty energized BUT, I keep returning to the fact this event, this important fundraising task is 60 miles. Even if it is over 3 days, and even if its broken down into 20 miles each day, OMG does not even come close to the exclamations in my head. But, I'm determined. I just wish I would stop seeing images of how far things are like ok I drive 4 miles to work. Or how far is it from here to Atlantic City, oh crap really, that's all?

I've got my friend Mary to think about because even though she's participated in this event for years she's never completed all 60 miles. But I told her this year we are going to do it. Come "heck" (that's for you Mary) or high water, we are going to finish this. She might be sorry she recruited me to do this, although I'm pretty sure she won't be since we are like sisters and will probably laugh and carry on the whole time.

The more daunting & challenging aspect sometimes to this event is the fundraising. Because it is such a big job to coordinate so many people and care for them over 3 days this event actually has a fundraising minimum. Each walker to participate must raise at least $2,300. If you or anyone you know would like to sponsor me its so easy to do thru their very sophisticated and secure website. Here is the link to my personal page thru the 3Day organization:   You can also look me up on the site by my name (Dawn Rademan) as a participant thru http://www.the3day.org/

When you start to talk to people and tell them you are doing this so many know someone that has been affected by breast cancer. Wouldn't it be fabulous if we could find a cure, prevent this horrible disease and in the future only tell stories about it people in the future. Please consider lending a hand and making a donation.

Stayed tuned for more of my trials, tribulations and OMG moments training for this important event.

No comments:

Post a Comment